Re: Quote signs in debian css - solution for all languages in sight

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:36:59PM +0200, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> >look at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/ source HTML, this is indeed how
> >they refer to books.
>
> <cite> is the source of a quotation/quote block.
>
> So, if you are citing from a book, the source goes into <cite> tag,
> but not the citation.
>
> I have thought over the problem with book titles mentioned in the
> text without quoting them. There seems to be no real good solution.
> If you write "mr Smith presented his new book "Go To Nirvana" the
> book title really is no cite (source of a quotation), but the authos
> nam may be. Here the book title itself may be a quotation while "Live
> is nothing, says Mr Smith in his new book "Go To Nirvana" Mr Smith
> and the book title are source of the quotation and can go to <cite>.

As said in my previous mail, http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/ contains
sentences similar to
  mr Smith presented his new book "<cite>Go To Nirvana</cite>"

> This point of few is also presented in browser behaviour. Cite never
> is surrounde by quotes while mentioning a book title in a text
> normally means setting it in quotes.

Right, and translator teams can then choose how to render it according
to national typographic rules.

Denis