Dealing with dead (404) links

Hello,
(please CC: me, thanks)
while translating older texts, I encounter some 404 links. I try to
fix them[1] if possible, but sometimes the content is simply gone. Is
there some documented procedure how to deal with permanently gone
linked content?

What I did in the two instances so far: Adapted text, if necessary and
commented out the link itself (so if later someone still has the
contents can upload it somewhere and re-enable the link). Is that ok?

Greetings

           Helge

[1] I added web.archive.org now to the possible places to look for
    copies.
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
                       gpg signed mail preferred