Re: Linked to Microsoft home page when clicking on "Latest release update"...

* Richard Niklasson <richard@niklasson.se> [2005-05-07 19:41] :
> Hi!
>
> I am using "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
> Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3" as my browser.
>
> When clicking on the link "Latest release update" on page
> http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/ I am going to Microsoft home page
> http://www.microsoft.com/  !!!!!!
>
> First I thought that your page was hacked, but I now think it is due to
> that the link is incorrect
> "http://http//lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/05/msg00001.html";
> and when you use a link that start with "http://http//xxxx"; in Mozilla
> Firefox its someway goes to Microsoft (automatic search function?). This
> is not the situation when using Microsoft Explorer, where you just get
> "The page cannot be displayed".
>
> So perhaps you should fix the incorrect link .....

Hello Richard,

It seems that someone already fixed the problem a few hours ago
(http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/releases/sarge/index.wml?cvsroot=webwml),
you probably noticed the problem before this page was rebuilt.

Firefox uses the first URL from Google returned by the query with
"http" as keyword, this is Microsoft website at www.google.com, but
could be different. You can deactivate this (IMO broken) behaviour in
about:config by changing keyword.enabled to false (in this case, it
would have sent you to http://www.http.com!).

Thanks for your help.

Fred