Re: Examples Debian WWW with css

Am Donnerstag, 18.11.04 um 10:20 Uhr schrieb Mike Hommey:

My idea would be to go to clean html code first, and then tweak the
visual.

That is a lot of double work.

The tables are only valid as html transitional, not strict.

Better:

1. Making a simple css layout
2. removing the tables using the css stylesheets.
3. clean up the remaining code to go to strict (much less work as tables and other layout hacks are already removed then).
4. Making nicer CSS - which is only one file then.

If you want to clear up code first, you will have no chance to get rid of the tables in that step without getting rather oldfashioned layout as in my own homepage. The only things, I have seen, which should be changed whenever seen:
- adding missing end-tags </p>
- discard the attibutes behind hr (they are simple defaults)
If the code is fully revised _before_ having a css stylesheet, all the tables have to be made valid for strict and in a second step they will be removed afterwords. - frustrating useless work, I think.

There are lots of discussions about, why to stay with HTML 4 strict instead of using XHTML. And personally I do not see any advantage of XHTML which may justify additional work and maybe errors causing user agents to go to quirks mode.

The language selection for those, wanting to change to another language manually makes about 2.5 k for the support page. I do not think, that this is much to care. But that is another discussion and has nothing to do with moving to css.

cu

Jutta

--
http://www.witch.westfalen.de