Re: Examples Debian WWW with css

Am Mittwoch, 17.11.04 um 15:06 Uhr schrieb Mike Hommey:

Well, that's cool, but now comes the stupid question:
While at it, why not just change the whole look ?

It is not on me to decide that. I am not a DD - user only, even if since more than eight years (pre 1.1).

And why absolutely keep images for the "menu" ?

Do not think they must be there. I did it only to show, that it is possible to go to css instead of tables without changing the outfit.

I think before going too far on css stuff and code change, it would be
worth talking about it, talking about what to put, how and where.

Yes, that is exactly, what I wanted. If there are suggestions, I can make an example. But another Idea is to go to css first and then change layout in a second step.

When I tried a redesign of the debian home page a while ago[1],

That looks nice, too. May I ask why you did not success?

 i've hit
some issues that might be worth considering, such as page size. There
are stuff in pages that are likely to be useful in less than 1% of the
cases that eat a huge amount of its size, such as "Select a server near
you" and the full language list.

I think, there can be a solution with combination of css and language negotiation. But I really do not think, that the lists are a real problem, even id I would make a selection form out of the lanuage list, too.

Then, the next step would be to decide how to do it, and if i recall
correctly, somebody posted here a list of stuff to do for a transition
to xhtml from the current stuff.

xhtml has some problems at all: No complete validation at w3c, syntax change against html and some browsers falling back to html 2.0, if xhtml is incorrect.
Personally I'd prefer html 4 strict.

As the site is very large, it would not be a good idea to change everything at the same time. Migration to either HTML 4.0 strict or XHTML is independent from moving to css layout instead of tables.

The example of the debian support page changes only the included header, nothing else.

greetings

Jutta

--
http://www.witch.westfalen.de