Re: D-I Manual on official Debian website [long]

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 08:21:52PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 13:10, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > 2) The current installmanual for woody uses the layout
> > (which would require some changes in build.sh, AFAICS).
>
> As we also link to the final location on the website from the manual, it
> would be nice to know what the URL structure will be.
>
> AFAICT, the structure for Woody seems to be:
> 1. www.d.o/releases/stable/
> 2. www.d.o/releases/stable/releasenotes/
> 3. www.d.o/releases/stable/installmanual/
> 4. www.d.o/releases/stable/<arch>/
> 5. www.d.o/releases/stable/<arch>/install/

No, this isn't correct. The current structure is
1.) releases/stable/releasenotes.<lang>.html
2.) releases/stable/installmanual.<lang>.html
3.) releases/stable/<arch>/*.<lang>.*
4.) releases/stable/<arch>/release-notes.<lang>.*
5.) releases/stable/<arch>/release-notes/*.<lang>.html

This is:
1.) Index page for release notes, build from debian-www CVS
2.) Index page for installmanual, build from debian-www CVS
3.) installmanual files
4.) releasenotes, formats txt and pdf
5.) releasenotes, format html

> I would suggest to create a new wrapper buildscript "webbuild.sh" for the
> website that builds the wanted languages and formats and makes sure it
> all ends up in the proper directory structure and creates symlinks for
> content negotiation (and possibly the index pages).
>
> I would also suggest the following directory structure under
> www.d.o/releases/<sarge|testing|stable>/.
> 1. ./
> 2. ./releasenotes/ (or whatever has already been decided)
> 3. ./installmanual/
> 4. ./installmanual/<arch>.<lang>/
> 5. ./installmanual/<arch>/

I will respond to that another time. Will need some time to think this
through.

> Other issues to be decided:
>
> - - Which languages to include on the website?
>   For the CD's (and the d-i-manual packages) we've limited the languages
>   to be included to those that were completely translated: en, es, pt_br,
>   fr, cs and ja.
>   At the moment de and ru are also very advanced and some other languages
>   are partially translated. Which should be included at release time?

Depends. Should be discussed with the translators, too.

>   Should extra languages that complete later be added at that time?

definetly yes

> - - Probably the manual for the website should be built from the sarge
>   branch of the SVN repository.

yes

>   Note however that currently the build system in that branch does not
>   allow building pdf or txt files.
>   How can we work around this?

merge the change to the branch? I see no way around this.

> - - There will probably be major changes to the manual (restructuring) after
>   Sarge is released that are relevant. Do we want to rebuild the manual
>   after release for the website?

We could think about doing that and placing the result in the etch/
directory.

> - - Should rebuilds (if we want them) be triggered automatically or started
>   manually?
>   What are the implications of this for translations of the website?
>   My preference would be manually because that would make it possible to
>   check the status of translations first and allow to keep the build
>   scripts simpler.

How many people will be able to trigger the build? Hopefully enough...

> - - Should the index page at 3 be generated automatically or maintained
>   manually.

I would leave that one in the debian-www CVS.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/