Re: Another article about the problems with xhtml

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:52:04PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Beside that, there are lots of bad usages of html in the code of
> debian-www, as I have seen, The cleaning up to be able to got to html
> strict, would be a great work, I think. The work I am currently doing
> for packages.debian.org makes it not only going css but gong strict
> DTD, too. Code decreases a lot.
[...]
> Beside that, there are lots of bad usages of html in the code of
> debian-www, as I have seen, The cleaning up to be able to got to html
> strict, would be a great work, I think. The work I am currently doing
> for packages.debian.org makes it not only going css but going strict
> DTD, too. Code decreases a lot.

And the length of your email would have decreased a lot if you hadn't
duplicated that paragraph ;) (Sorry, couldn't withstand)

But indeed, I don't think that the benefits of converting the pages to
XHTML is worth the effort needed. We should try to keep
an eye on new pages, though, to make the situation not much worse. New
pages should always be valid HTML strict and valid XHTML, if possible
(wml takes care of removing /> endings of empty tags, so there is no
excuse not to use them).

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>