Re: Please respect line length limitation in www.debian.org source

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 08:00:13PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:

> I recently added Michael Ablassmeier's German translation of
>   www.debian.org/security/audit/faq
> and noticed that files related to the Security Audit Project consist
> of one long line of text ...

  That seems suprising.

> ... not really, but I found indeed lines with more than 300 characters.

  Ahh I see, I 've tended to have on line per paragraph.

> Please avoid using such long lines. CVS which is used to manage *.wml
> files is line oriented, similar to diff and patch. It's very hard to
> find a difference in two very long lines which differ only in small
> pieces. Even fancy utilities such as vimdiff, mgdiff, xdiff, tkdiff,
> kompare, ... are not very useful in these cases!

  Point taken.

> I will try to fix this, but it is not easy since it may confuse
> translators, who want to update outdated translations and have to
> analyse these diffs.

  Would it be worth my while to breakup the English versions first,
 or would that be unduly confusing?  As the person responsible I guess
 I should like to help fix if I can do so.

> PS: Maybe we should not give people write access without pointers to
> style guides and www.debian.org/devel/website. I also suggest that
> people send patches to this list before they get write access.

  For what it's worth I've read those pages and I see no mention
 of any line lenght restriction.

  I chose to use a single line per paragraph as that seemed natural,
 but now that you've drawn attention to it I do see that other areas
 of the site seem not to be in this style.

  I guess there are guidelines which I've missed but certainly not
 in the link you refer to above.

Steve