The site www.osw.gliwice.pl

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am now chosen responsible to manage the site www.osw.gliwice.pl which is a placeholder page installed by the Debian release of the Apache Web server package, because no home page was installed on this host. I would like to replace this as soon as possible with our own web pages. I have no idea yet because I have no information about the server nor our ISP.

Where might be our server? Who is our ISP? How do I (what do I need to ) get access to this server in order to adapt to our need the configuration in the following directories found on the temporary site?

  • Configuration files can be found in /etc/apache.
  • The DocumentRoot, which is the directory under which all your HTML files should exist, is set to /var/www.
  • CGI scripts are looked for in /usr/lib/cgi-bin, which is where Debian packages will place their scripts.
  • Log files are placed in /var/log/apache, and will be rotated daily. The frequency of rotation can be easily changed by editing /etc/apache/cron.conf.
  • The default directory index is index.html, meaning that requests for a directory /foo/bar/ will give the contents of the file /var/www/foo/bar/index.html if it exists (assuming that /var/www is your DocumentRoot).
  • User directories are enabled, and user documents will be looked for in the public_html directory of the users' homes. These dirs should be under /home, and users will not be able to symlink to files they don't own.
Yours sincerely,
Cloud.