Re: dead links

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004-06-28 17:57]:
> Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
>> Please use the English version of the page which is linked at the
>> top and at the bottom of the Polish version.
>
> Is there some reason why ancient and badly outdated translations are
> preferred over the untranslated text on the web site?

 Because an outdated translation is more helpful to people who can't
speak english than no translation. And there is the message at the top
of the pages that it is outdated, which isn't possible with po files.
Furthermore, po files are short strings or paragraphs, even the debconf
templates use paragraphs only, not the full text as translation check.

 When it comes to badly outdated translations, Peter Karlson regularly
removes such files from the CVS which gets them removed from the web,
too. I am not sure at which time interval he goes for badly outdated,
IIRC it is 6 months, but it might be discussed to lower that timeslot.

 You can't really compare the translation of webpages to po files...
Alfie
--
Well, enough clowning around.  Perl is, in intent, a cleaned up and
summarized version of that wonderful semi-natural language known as