Re: ISO images removed from ftp.debian.org ???

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:25:16PM +0300, Mihails Nikitins wrote:
> It looks like old good big Debian CD images are not avaliable on
> ftp.debian.org and its mirrors.

That's because they were never supposed to be there, rather on
cdimage.debian.org and its mirrors. They may happen to end up on the
same host name but it's a different branch of the mirror network.

> I tried many mirrors and could not find ISO image for hppa platform
> http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Really? I can see them at

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian-cd/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.ticklers.org/debian-cd/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/debian-cd/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.eu.uu.net/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/hppa/
ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/debian-iso/images/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/hppa/
http://debian-cd.rutgers.edu/images/hppa/
http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian-cdimage/3.0_r1/hppa/
http://ftp.keystealth.org/debian-cd/hppa/
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/hppa/

> It looks like there are no more images on ftp.debian.org that is supposed
> to be the best up-to-date information source.

Actually, ftp.debian.org is basically kept for backwards compatibility only.
We don't like users to concentrate on a central set of servers in the US
when there's a 300-tier mirror network available...

> Some mirrors contain ISO images, but only for i386 platform.

That's unfortunately the reality -- people don't want to mirror ISO images
in general, and those that do commonly don't want to spend space on
non-popular architectures.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.