Re: norwegian or german

* Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> [2003-08-05 08:54]:
> But if there is _no_ translation why than giving a _no_ locale??

 Because the browser asks for * additionally.  If the browser would just
ask for no it would get a "406 Not Acceptable" error page that says
something like this:

#v+
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /projects/slrn/quick
could not be found on this server.

Available variants:

  * quick.de.html , type text/html, language de
#v-

 If there is though a link from the foo.en.html to foo.html then
foo.html will get served. I'm not sure if we do this links everywhere,
I guess we do.

 If on the other hand there is a * in the Accept-Language header (like
IE likes to send) the server is allowed to choose any (because the
client says that it wants any) -- and thus it sends any.

 This poppes up every now and then on this list, there was a huge
discussion some months ago where someone offered to patch Apache so it
is possible to set a Default order if someone requests *, but that
thread somehow vanished....

> I think it is a bug to return a random locale instead of english, isn't it?

 If the user requests _any_ (and that is what he does if he sends *) he
shouldn't be surprised if he gets any.  No, it's not a bug, it's a
feature.

 So long,
Alfie
--