Re: Packages not i18n-ed

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:04:36PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm looking at this page:
>
> http://www.de.debian.org/international/l10n/po/todo.en.html
>
> Can someone tell me why the postgresql package is listed on this page and
> marked with a star?  I feel there are perfectly good PO files in there.
>
> Is the source code of the scripts behind this page or the log of the runs
> viewable anywhere?  I just want to make sure we're not doing anything
> wrong that makes it more difficult for you.

Hi,

This is explained near the top:
    Those packages are either not i18n-ed or stored in an unparseable
    format, e.g. an asterisk is put after packages in dbs format,
    which may then contain localized files.

In short, the Debian packaging for this package is very similar to an
SRPMS, the source package contains your tarball and patches collected by
the Debian maintainer.  Which patches are applied, in which order, where
they are stored, etc., is not defined in a standard way and can only be
determined by parsing the debian/rules file.  Instead of reporting wrong
figure, it seems better not to process these packages at all.

The postgresql-7.3.4.tar.gz archive contains several po directories:
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/backend/po/
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin/pg_controldata/po/
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin/pg_dump/po/
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin/pg_resetxlog/po/
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/bin/psql/po/
  postgresql-7.3.4/src/interfaces/libpq/po/
I do not have a close look at these directories, but merging them all
into a single one would surely help your translators.

Denis