Re: patch http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Matt Kraai wrote:

> > I suggest replacing this:
> >
> >  ----
> >  Even when searching on subwords is not checked, appending an
> >  asterisk, '*', to the end of a keyword will allow subword searching
> >  for that word.
> >  ----
> >
> > with this:
> >
> >  ----
> >  Searching for subwords is not checked unless you append an asterix ("*")
> >  to the end of a keyword.
> >  ----
> >
> > or optionally with this:
> >
> >  ----
> >  Searching for subwords is not checked unless you append an asterix ("*")
> >  to the end of a keyword. If you append an asterix to one of your
> >  keywords, that particular keyword will be searched for subwords.
> >  ----
>
> Both of your rephrasings are incorrect: enabling the searching for
> subwords option is equivalent to appending an asterix to the end
> of the keywords.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood the meaning of the word "checked" used in this
case. I thought you meant checked as in verified. But you meant checked as
in "the checkbox clicked". Now it all makes sense ;).

> > Also, I wonder, why not enable regex searching for those inclined? I
> > understand Google can't do that due to their huge db. But is the package
> > db really too big for that? Or are there other reasons?
>
> Because the package database is indexed by an old version of swish
> that does not support regex searching.

Ok. So it's not on purpose at least.

--
Regards,

Tommy - http://www.geocities.com/todu5811/autosignature?1128
RFC2440 fingerprint: 4445 BB5E AE67 A0C9 7B25  5715 F938 88CB 7A10 2364