Re: debian.org mailing list archives being harvested by spammers

Matt Kraai said:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:09:16AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > Examples of effective privacy measures for mailing list archives
> > include:
> >   * restricting archive access to list members
> >   * not restricting access, but using the HTTP password mechanism
> >     to discourage spiders (e.g. perforce-users mailing list)
> >   * simply obscuring all email addresses in message headers or trailers
> > That last countermeasure is my favorite one, since it means that
> > Google will still have full access to the info in the list archive.
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate it if debian.org would institute one of
> > the above spam countermeasures (preferably the last one).
> > I understand that overly harsh spam countermeasures would be
> > harmful to normal discourse, but I trust some useful middle
> > ground can be found.
>
> We know.  See
>
>  http://bugs.debian.org/166028
>
> Matt
> --
> Matt Kraai <kraai@alumni.cmu.edu>
> Debian GNU/Linux Peon

That doesn't mean that the problem won't be fixed, just that everyone
has to agree on a solution first.  See debates in this list's archives
every time someone posts a big screaming rant demanding that their email
address be removed from the entire set of Debian archives (note: your
email was not a screaming rant and is probably one of the most polite
and level-headed received thus far).

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."