Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by bli: webwml/german/devel/wnpp index.wml

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:02:09PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Debian WWW CVS <webmaster@debian.org> [2003-04-24 21:50]:
> > Modified files:
> > 	german/devel/wnpp: index.wml
> >
> > Log message:
> > 	s/voraussichtlich/zuk?nftig/
>
>  I'm not sure if this change is correct.  According to my dictionary
> prospective means 'voraussichtlich' (expected), prospective_ly_ means
> zuk?nftig (future).
>
>  What is the intention of the word in english?  prospectively sounds
> more enforcing that it will really be a package.  I'm not sure if I like
> that change.

My reading of the English word is something like "applying to be". So
"prospective developer" would be a valid way to describe someone in the
NM queue.

To me, "prospective packages" means "packages which may become part of
the distribution". "Future" does feel more accurate than "expected".

"Prospective" versus "prospectively" are just adjectival and adverbial
forms of the same word. I don't think you could reduce one to "expected"
and the other to "future" exclusively; both shades of meaning are there
depending on context.