Re: Search for `Debian' gives EFF as top hit ?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:43:18AM -0500, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> > > No, that's not what I mean.  I mean their PageRank system, see
> > > <http://www.google.com/technology/index.html>.
> >
> >  I don't see any hint in that page to why eff should be associated with
> > Debian.  Could you please be a little bit more verbose?
>
> Here:
>
>  PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using
>  its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's
>  value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as
>  a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the
>  sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the
>  page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves
>  "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages
>  "important."
>
> So I'm saying perhaps EFF has more votes then Debian does.

Well, shouldn't that in turn mean that the amount of links from EFF web site
to Debian sites as "Debian" makes the latter more likely to turn up after
a search for "Debian"?

Having EFF be the first link after a search for "Debian" would be the result
of people doing <a href="EFF's URL[1]">Debian</a> or so, and surely this
doesn't happen often enough to actually matter?

[1] I don't want Google to pick that up in the list archive and continue to
perpetrate the wrong impression :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.