Re: Providing up to date information on pending security issues (suggestion for the web pages)

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 02:01:19PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > current vulnerability track database in such a way that it could "drop"
>
> There's ongoing work for that.

Is there a timeframe on when this could be done? Do you guys need help to
implement it? I don't want to code in something in the web pages that is
going to be largely incompatible with what the security team is going to
provide.

I'm not sure which is the current status of the security's team database
for tracking vulnerabilities but could it be possible to do the following:
submit a mail when a new (high risk, the kinds of which
deserves a CERT advisory or similar) vulnerability including information on
affected packages and releases?

I view the security vulnerability process as the following:

1.- a vulnerability is discovered
2.- (sometimes) the security team gets notified
3.- the vulnerability goes public
[if Debian is vulnerable to it]
4.- the vulnerability is fixed
5.- new packages are built and uploaded to security.debian.org

The way we do things now, people reading (only) debian-security-announce
are only aware of a vulnerability affecting Debian on step 5 (when a DSA
gets issued).

Now, IMHO, it could be possible to notify people in step 3 maybe by issuing
a DSW (Debian Security Warning) in order to raise awareness of the problem
and to allow people to take appropiate (temporary) measures to fix the
vulnerability. Notice that the time from 3 to 5 can be large depending on
the ease of fix and the fact that packages have to be built for all
architectures.

The security team has the infraestructure (or so it seems) to send a
pre-fabricated mail saying "We are aware that vulnerability X exists
affecting Debian release Y (packages Z) and are working on it. You can take
temporary precautions to avoid this by doing X until new packages that fix
it are available".

If this information is properly formatted we can do the same with DSWs as
we currently do with DSAs, put them in the website and let them be parsed
automatically to have (in security.debian.org) both information of things
_fixed_ and things that are going to be fixed but to which our users are
currently vulnerable.

Again, this might need to be done only with high-risk vulnerabilities (say,
remote code execution or local priviledge escalation) affecting basic (as
'standard') or popular (Apache? Samba?) packages.

Now, I could commit to write these DSW but what's the point on doing it if
the security team has already that information at hand?

Regards

Javi