Re: package of the week

Andre L. wrote:
> During a conversation about possible improvements to DWN,
> Joey Schulze suggested getting the old package of the week
> (POW) idea going again. [1] The plan is each week we'd
> review one featured package on debian.org (probably
> somewhere under News/), with a link in the DWN issue.  I've
> agreed to do a few reviews, as has Matt Black.

I'd propose <http://www.debian.org/News/pow/> or
<http://www.debian.org/pow/> with a similar structure as DWN,
i.e. yyyy/nn/index.wml + files.

> [1] Previous discussion about the POW idea:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg01803.html
>
> We're looking for some advice on web strategy.
>
> The first question is about including images (screenshots)
> in the reviews.  I think we should be okay if we strictly
> enforce (perhaps using WML code) a few rules:
>
> 1) No more than 100K total of images per review.
> 2) Any images inlined should be <10K thumbnail linked to fullsize.
> 3) ALT/TITLE tags should convey the size/format of fullsize.

Sounds good.

> 4) The necessary magic is used to store images in CVS.

cvs add -kb foo.png && cvs ci -m "some message" foo.png

> What about sound clips?  These would only rarely be
> appropriate, say for something like the festival speech
> synthesizer.

If they don't become too large, it should be ok.

> I'm also going to need some help with WML code for
> headers/footers, and to provide a link to the Debian package
> page, since that URL might change in the future.  Probably
> also table of contents.  If Joey wants, we might even try to
> automatically link it into DWN.  My WML scripting attempts
> so far haven't worked.  Anybody willing to help out?

Header and footer will automagically added by WML.  Take a look how
DWN source WML looks like.  POW would be similar and include #use
.../pow at the top.  We could also use <screenshot src=... alt=...>
which automatically expands to the the HTML code you used.

I'd like to mention POW in DWN but not automatically, since this would
add too many restrictions to POW.

As for the help, please untar the attached tar.gz file in the english
dir of the webwml checkout.  That will build .../News/pow/ with some
content.  No graphics and no graphics magic yet, though.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always."