Re: "family name, personal name" in devel/people

Kubota-san,

I do not think we are too far in what we wish to achieve.

Your statement left me with a feel that I am labeled as an individual
who is forcing "western" convention.  If you are thinking me as such, I
can assure you I am a complete opposite.

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:48:35AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Is "Given Family" order related to English (or Western) language?

I do not care about this question because it does not change my thought
at all.
> > Please remember that it is a well established convention for Japanese
> > name to be flipped in English or French context upon translation.  That
> > was my point.  I guess if translated into Hungarian or Chinese, we
> > should use surname first as the translation convention.
>
> I know that convention.

So you agree with me.  I only pointed out this to avoid confusion which
may have been caused by Oohara-san's comment.

Convention only disctates what is the most likely event but that is not
binding rule.  Neither Japanese nor English speaker nor any collective
entity should force their convention to the individual.

These choice shall be a _personal_ choice of a person addressed.

At the same time, when one defies convention, one should expect people's
reaction.  One has to kindly tell ones wish to defy convention.

Any fair organization should respect these personal choices and to
support these wishes to the extent possible.

I do not think we need to twist the fact on convention to achieve our
goal.  We can always neglect convention and respect individual wishes.

> I cannot imagine a restaurant which is located at all countries or
> "international restaurant".  However, our project is international.

I know plenty of restaurants located in almost all countries(*).  But so
what.  I do not want Debian to become like that.   Oops, we are getting
too off-topic, here.

(*) For example, the fast food chain starting with big-M.
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract