Re: Debian and Commercial SW

At 21:31 26.01.2003 +0000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
-------------------------
   http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

   states:
   <quote>
   Incredible amounts of software
   Debian comes with over 8710 different pieces of software. Every bit of it
   is free. If you have commercial software that runs under Linux, you can
still use it - in fact, there may even be an installer in Debian that will
   automatically install and set up everything for you.
   <unquote>

This sounds on first reading like Free Software is something different from
   "Commercial Software".

   I am here in Vietnam constantly fighting against the false polarisation
   "Free SW vs. Commercial SW" ....

   Maybe the Debians should change their wording?

Yes -- they should.  If you can misunderstand that `commercial' means
the free as well as restricted software sold by companies such as IBM
or HP, then others will misunderstand as well.  Please help them fix
this bug!

For me, "commercial" means: Doing it directly or indirectly (marketing) for money. The opposite is doing something for own pleasure (fun) or out of altruistic reasons. Therefore I think, that Free Software can be very "commercial".

If my understanding of "commercial" is wrong, then pls. educate me.

Cheers,
Stefan