Re: UPPERCASE surname?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:50:19PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> I don't understand why uppercase surname is not accepted.  Uppercase
> surname is widely used in academic world

I think if the document is in English, then English style is just fine.
The uppercase stuff may be appropriate in e.g. French, but I don't believe
there's any rule in English that requires it.

Also, writing whole words uppercase is a sign of yelling in electronic
communication channels which a lot of us are accustomed to.

> and it is useful to show which part is the surname. Especially, because of
> some confusion of Japanese (and other east Asian?) way of writing their
> name in Alphabets transcription (which Osamu Aoki mentioned recently), it
> is useful to capitalize surname (though it is not used by everyone).

By default, the first part is the name, and the second part is the surname.
There would only be confusion if someone wrote "Kubota Tomohiro", and I
don't see why anyone would do that.

> My opinion is to respect their own way to write or the expression in the
> news source.

But that's already accomplished by providing the native spelling, isn't it? :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.