Re: FOLLOWING UP ON SPEECH OUTPUT CRASH

----- Original Message -----

From: "STEN-CLANTON, ALBERT E" <ALBERT_E_STEN-CLANTON@fleet.com>

To: <debian-www@lists.debian.org>

Cc: <support@hj.com>; <scripts@freedomscientific.com>

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 8:24 PM

Subject: FOLLOWING UP ON SPEECH OUTPUT CRASH

> Greetings!  The correspondence below concerns my crashes when trying to
use

> the Debian site's link to the development tools of the package.  More

> precisely, it concerns the loss of the speech output from my screen
reader,

> JAWS, which I use because of my blindness.

[Suggestion to contact the site]

> It is definitely something on the site since at one time it

> worked and now it doesn't.  Nothing has changed within JAWS.

time

> ago something must have changed on the page.  You may want to contact the

> web site developer to see if it can be resolved as we doubt there is much
we

> can do from here as far as JAWS is concerned.

[Sorry for the delay, exams are coming up in a couple of weeks]

I did some "research" and have reason to believe that Jaws' crashing is due
to the large definition-list (<dl> tag in HTML).

When I changed the definition list to an unordered (<ul>-tag) or
would run just fine.

So, to summarize the issue:

    * The unaltered page gives problems => Jaws uses +- 99% of the CPU and
the

      PC/Jaws is no longer responsive

    * The page with the definition list removed works flawlessly => the

      headers/footer are no problem (this doesn't mean that Osamu Aoki's
remark

      isn't valid, but it doesn't solve the crashing of Jaws)

    * The page with the definition list replaced by 150KB of "Lorem
ipsum..."     text works just fine => size is not an issue

    * The page with the definition list replaced by an unordered list works
just

      fine

One last possibility is that Internet Explorer (the browser I used to check
all this under Windows) has somehow changed with regards to <dl>-rendering
and that is causing problems, but I have no knowledge on how Jaws gets it's
information from the operating system.