Re: getting page source

* chbenito@cruzio.com <chbenito@cruzio.com> [2002-10-24 21:09]:
> Okay.  I think that I am ready to start making some little fixes
> and get my feet wet.  How should I go about getting the wml page
> source?  If I should be using the cvs, would someone point me in
> the direction of some documentation (I've never used cvs)?

 cvs isn't that hard, and there is this page:
<http://www.debian.org/devel/website/using_cvs> linked from the desc
page.  Yes, it seems to be a little bit burried but people working on
the website should read the description page throughly anyway .)

> Since I am new to this, I'll start by making fixes to the code
> that may seem inconsequential, but would make any move to xhtml
> much easier.  For example, there is a <ul> on the debian.org index
> where the <li>s are not closed.  This will validate under html
> but not xhtml.

 Much luck with this, I was frowned on when I tried that.  Maybe the
time has changed in the meantime and people will value such efforts. You
have my truly support on this.

> There are some other elements in the index that should be lists,
> but are not (the security updates spring to mind).  I assume that
> these are generated by a script and I would love to tune them
> so that they generate lists instead of the current use of <br>s.
> With a little use of styling, it should be possible to make the
> end result look the same, if the prefence is to avoid bulleted
> lists.

 Sounds cool to me.  I haven't used much stylesheets myself yet but
start to really like them.  Especially you can make nifty things to
input fields and such.  But keep in mind that it is not the best idea to
rely _only_ on stylesheets for the design, there are still browsers
widely used that doesn't support them well, if at all (like, netscape4
or even textmode webbrowsers).

 Have fun,
Alfie
--
Wo wir schon bei Schnäppchenbestrafungen sind: ich finde § 307 StGB hat ein
recht ordentliches Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis. Soviel Bums für sowenig Strafe