"Why GIF?" explanation on Banner page

Hi,

I think Debian may want to put short clarification on GIF use on the
Debian banner site to save lost souls crying here every month :)

Here is my take of the problem.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 12:55:22PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Michael Herz <Michael.Herz@t-online.de> [2002-08-20 11:56]:
> > just a quick hint, cause I couldn't believe it. Your banners on
> > http://www.debian.org/banners/ are in .gif format???

It looks to me many people get this clue from GNU web page without
reading reason behind GNU position to the bottom of GNU web page.

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

>  Yes, they are -- but they are not using the LZW compression
> algorithms and therefore doesn't have any license problems.

I do not know this is new addition to GNU web page, but at least recent
GNU page also admit that GIF without LZW is possible and is an FREE
option in the above page.

Of course GIF argues not to use GIF no matter what.  Typical idealistic
GNU philosophical argument which pragmatic Debian may do without.  Both
organizations share many views but have slightly different focus.

I personally do not have problem with either position.

> > Shouldn't we quickly change it to png?
>
>  Unfortunately for some graphics this isn't a real option for
> transparent png's aren't supported that well yet.  Btw., you aren't the
  GIF on Debian.
> first to notice this, there were already some mails to this list and
> also a bugreport filed (#127849). Please search the archives for
> previous answers.

Regards,
         Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.   Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developer
 : :' :    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/  http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'   "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" - Social Contract