Re: Status of new search engine

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 06:22:44PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> For a Japanese speaker like me, this IS everything.  I am really
> looking forward this will be available.

I hope it eventually works, it should as it can handle 2byte charsets
natively.

> I searched "kubota", which is my name, in "any" languages.
> There are 150 results.  The second one is Japanese page,
>    http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translation_coordinators.ja.html
> However, the result-showing page displays the title and so on
> brokenly.  I found the search page http://search.debian.org/new/search.cgi
> have the following line:
I've fixed that now.  I'm not sure how to permanently do this as it
comes from the generic webwml templates.

> I searched "Linux" in Language: "Any".  It results in 112950 hits.
> However, in any other languages such as "English", "German", and
> "Japanese", the result was zero.

Language selection is broken.  I have no idea why its doing that as
everything looks fine with it.  I have asked on the mnogosearch email
list about this problem.

> I searched a Japanese word which means "security" in Language: "Any".
> The result was zero.
>
> I checked the URL of the result page.  It was:
>
> http://search.debian.org/new/search.cgi?q=%A5%BB%A5%AD%A5%E5%A5%EA%A5%C6%A5%A3&ps=10&o=0&m=and&lang=
>
> The variable "q" seems to be the word in EUC-JP encoding.  (I used a text
> browser "w3m" in Debian Sid, ja_JP.eucJP locale).
>
> On the other hand, when I used Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer,
> the URL was:
>
> http://search.debian.org/new/search.cgi?q=%26%2312475%3B%26%2312461%3B%26%2312517%3B%26%2312522%3B%26%2312486%3B%26%2312451%3B&ps=10&o=0&m=and&lang=
>
> I don't know the value of the variable "q".
>
> Thus, it might be difficult to handle various international input
> from webforms.  However, I believe it is possible because Google
> does it well.

Ah google does it right, let's see then.
Search for you,which ifthis email client doesn't mangle it should be
??? ??  (looks like question marks to me).

Now, if I pick it up from the search page, I get
http://search.debian.org/new/search.en.cgi?q=%E4%B9%85%E4%BF%9D%E7%94%B0+%E6%99%BA%E5%BA%83
and results look sensible.

I then searched ???????? which is something to do with security
and got
http://search.debian.org/new/search.en.cgi?q=%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A5%E3%83%AA%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E6%83%85%E5%A0%B1&ps=10&o=0&m=and&lang=
with no results

and
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%E3%82%BB%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A5%E3%83%AA%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E6%83%85%E5%A0%B1&btnG=Google+Search
with lots of results.

I don't understand why its not giving the right results.

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/                <csmall@enc.com.au>