Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > And then on scroll way down the list to your country. And then into the
> > current directory on the mirror, oops, that was jigdo only?!  back out
> > and to the 3.0r0 directory.
>
>  Uhm, just a second.  When I click a on the links in that list I get to
> the debian-cd directory on the mirrors where I can choose between jigdo
> and the 3.0r0 directory.  Why do you find yourself in the jigdo
> directory?

I found myself in a directory that had nothing but a jigdo subdirectory.
I didn't bother looking in the subdirectory, not wanting jigdo.

> > What, that was jigdo again?! Hmm, try another mirror.
>
>  Now it would be _more_ than helpful which link you are refering to.
> Without knowing it that seemingly broken link can't be fixed, thank you.

http://aurolinux.mit.edu/debian-cd/ -- no debian 3.0!
ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/ --
  overloaded, cannot check
ftp://debian-cd.rutgers.edu/pub/ -- no debian 3.0
ftp://debian.fifi.org/pub/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only
ftp://debian.orst.edu/debian-cdimage/ -- jigdo only
ftp://debian.tod.net/debian-cd/ -- cannot connect (routing?)
ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian-cd/ -- stable points to debian 2.2r6
ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/debian-cd/ -- no debian 3.0
ftp://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only
ftp://ftp.cs.stevens-tech.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/debian-cd/ -- no
  debian 3.0
ftp://ftp.keystealth.org/debian-cd/debian-cd/ -- no debian 3.0
ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian-cd/ -- 404
ftp://ftp.linux.tucows.com/pub/ISO/Debian/ -- connection refused
ftp://ftp.lug.udel.edu/pub/iso-images/Debian/ -- no debian 3.0
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/debian-cd/ -- no debian 3.0
ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian-cd/ -- no 3.0
ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only
ftp://mirror.csit.fsu.edu/debian-cd/ -- has isos, but directory is not readable
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/ -- no 3.0
ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/ -- no 3.0
http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/mirrors/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/mirrors/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only
http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/mirrors/debian-cd/ -- jigdo only

I don't know which one I clicked on, but it was one of these. The above
are every one of our listed cd mirrors in the US, none of which have
isos, and a full half of which think that 2.2 was our last release.

> > Maybe the one in Austria, because it's the top of that list of
> > mirrors. Hmm, no, it only has a jigdo directory too.
>
>  Uhm, you seem to be blind, sorry.  Both ftp and http of the austrian
> mirror has the 3.0r0 directories.  Can you please check before accusing?
> I guess you seem to be puzzled by the layout of the HTML-Page there --
> but you can't accuse debian for third party layouts, or do you try to do
> so?

Why should we have a bunch of diverse third party web pages on something
that's supposed to be a mirror network?

--
see shy jo