Re: Debian web sites

Matt,

Thanks for the fast reponse and pointing what I missed.  Now I know.

I missed the package search because it was far down on the page and missed
the link because I did not notice that they were internal links.

However, the actual packages are much farther than 3 links:  the page
describing emacs20 20.7-2, for example, is 4 links from the UK mirror
site start page.

0 - http://www.uk.debian.org/
1 - http://www.uk.debian.org/distrib/packages
2 - http://packages.debian.org/stable/
3 - http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/
4 - http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/emacs20.html
5 - http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl
6 - http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/editors/emacs20_20.7-2.deb

The Emacs page and the download CGI (5) are actually in the U.S.
Unfortunately due to connectivity problems / heavy traffic, these can be
considered dead links from N. Norway in the late afternoon.  The 6th and
final stop with the binary is, gratefully, in Norway.

The above examples apply for potato.  It's longer for woody.

Regarding the page layout it might be useful to put the link to the
download script near the top.  Odds are if you read that far, then it's
the package you're looking for.  Again, this may just be a different way
of thinking.

"Getting Debian" in the sidebar and "Distributions" in the nav menu go to
the same page.  Perhaps, the can have the same wording.  Likewise with the
references to vendors.

Again thanks.

-Lars

--