Debian web sites

Hi,

I've been circling around in the various Debian mirrors and partial
mirrors for about a week.  I'm glad to hear (via the powerpc list) that
the sites are scheduled for renovation.  Here are some of my suggestions:

* mirrors sites should carry the full web site, not just parts.

* encourage more use of the standardized naming scheme for mirror sites.
e.g. www.XX.debian.org and ftp.XX.debian.org And ensure that both exists.
e.g. ftp.no.debian.org exists, but not the corresponding www site.

* some sort of searchable package index.  e.g. fr.rpmfind.net and
  (don't wince) www.redhat.com/apps/download/advanced_search.html
  Certainly these can be improved on.

* the installation related pages need to point the ISO's, floppy images,
 resellers and distributors, full install instructions, an install cheat
 sheet and, most important of all, pointers to where to find debian
 packages or their names.  [1]  Quite often the actual images or
 information is three or more links away and then Google is faster.

I like the idea of Debian.

-Lars

--
Lars Noodén
Lektor

[1] Yes, I know apt-get is supposed to handle this, but it seems I have to
know the exact name of the package first.

PS:  My background with debian:  I've used/administered RedHat a fair
amount, but am no means an expert.  I used debian 1997-2000, but someone
else did 100% of the the administration.

Regarding my installation on the G4, many of my problems in finding things
may simply be, in addition to thickness, my lack of familiarity with
Debian related jargon and subculture and lack of familiarity with
Macintosh hardware and OS.  I have now gotten the Woody beta running on a
power macintosh G4, but ended up using a page I found using Google
instead.  I needed a rather clear, recipe-like set of instructions with
clarification.