Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by peterk: webwml/swedish/vote howto_proposal.wml

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:28:56PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:23:59 -0800
> Debian WWW CVS <webmaster@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Modified files:
> > 	swedish/vote   : howto_proposal.wml
> >
> > Log message:
> > 	Sync: Since proposal.template has been added, it is no longer "coming
> > 	soon" (1.9)
> >
> > 	Hmmm, seems to already be in place?
> heh, someone's been updating the wmls and forgeting to update the
> translation_check version, it's happening in portuguese, also

Look at this from the point of view of someone who is correcting urls.
There are basically three options a person has when doing this:
 - only update the original version (usually english) and let
   translators update the translations
 - update all the translations and not modify the translation_check
   numbers
 - update all translations and take the time to check every translation
   and only update those which are up to date.

Obviously the third option would be ideal. Unfortunately it's not that
simple. Translations are in various states of being up to date, and
frankly it is too time consuming to check them all so no
translation_check numbers are improperly updated. Additionally, I would
think that translators would not want the translation_check updated so
that a translator can check that the file is correct.

So, what do translators want people doing updates to do: update only the
original or update all translations (without modifying the
translation_check numbers)?

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org