Re: Lack of non-profit partners/memberships listed on web site

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 07:09:38PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:08:43PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > I notice a conspicuous lack of listings for non-profit organizations
> > Debian is allied with, a member of, or in some other way formally
> > recognizes as a partner.  The "partners" page is great, but that only
> > lists corporate partners who act in a supportive capacity towards
> > Debian.  Should this page be expanded in scope to include non-profits?
>
> It now includes OPN.

It is nice to see that now.

> > - Linux International (or is that just SPI?  but in any event, li.org
> >   lists us as a member).
> >
> > - LSB
>
> Neither of these are really partners in a way that is described in the
> partnership program. However, we do have some links to them, and can add
> more...

Where do we link to them?  I guess I'd like to see the organizations we
have relationships to that don't fit the definition of "partners" all
in one place.  It's not simply a matter of more links, just higher
profile.  After all, some of these relationships have as much or more
impact on Debian development than direct donation of equipment, money,
or services.  I think a page listing these organizations together should
be a second-level page linked directly to the home page.  I'm not
sure what the generic name for such relationship is.  Maybe "associates"
or "affiliates"?

My initial inquiry was sparked by Debian Jr. becoming a member of
Schoolforge.  Through Schoolforge we have formed a relationship with
OSEF, which recently sent a donation of a laptop to me for my work on
Debian Jr.  My project is therefore in a working relationship with
Schoolforge, which is helping me establish contacts with other related
projects to carry forward my project in tangible ways.  In turn, many
Schoolforge organizations are keeping a watchful eye on Debian Jr.
development, and may make use of it for their own projects.

Although I have made Debian Jr. a member of Schoolforge, this does not mean
Debian itself is a member, just my own internal project.  It is probably
sufficient to simply link Schoolforge from our own front page (i.e.
w.d.o/devel/debian-jr), which I have done already.  So the "where do we
link non-partner organizational relationships" question is no longer
critical for Debian Jr. It just seems to me it would be a nice thing to do.

OT:

Incidentally, I haven't issued a press release about Debian Jr. membership
in Schoolforge yet, which I have agreed to do by becoming a member:

http://www.schoolforge.net/procedures.php

I have thus far only announced the membership on debian-devel-announce.
How should I go about taking the next step, announcing it to the world?
Is it appropriate if I go off on my own and contact Linux PR myself?
I'd like to put this announcement through the "proper channels" whatever
they may be.

Ben