Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by joy: webwml/english/CD/netinst index.wml

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:12:41PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Modified files:
> > 	english/CD/netinst: index.wml
> >
> > Log message:
> > 	link to the FAQ, for the newbies
>
> I don't know, the sentence seems superfluous to me:
>
>   For information what these files are and how to use them, please see
>   the FAQ <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/>.
>
> The phrase "these files" is quite vague and it isn't obvious that you
> mean .iso files, since the links don't point directly to .iso files.
>
> Furthermore, the link to the FAQ is the very first thing on /CD/, and
> the very first thing in the header on *every* page underneath /CD/ -
> if a newbie can't find that, he can't be helped...

Actually, I asked some newbielike people to check the site out WRT to CD
stuff, and one of them traversed the site like this:

  /
  /distrib/
  /distrib/netinst
  /CD/netinst/

At that point his newbie self was pretty confused :) because he didn't have
any idea whatsoever what he would do with the "CD images".

That's why I added the link to the FAQ.

> (FWIW, only a few days ago we had the first person asking on debian-cd
> how to "unpack those .iso files". Sigh.)

You need to read more support channels, you'd see a shitload more of that. :)

--
a regular reader of hr.comp.os.linux