Re: new front page, take 2

Feh!

----- Forwarded message from Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@cibalia.gkvk.hr> -----

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@cibalia.gkvk.hr>
To: joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr
Subject: Mail failure - malformed recipient address
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:01:53 +0100

A message that you sent contained a recipient address that was incorrectly
constructed:

  "Debian WWW List"debian-www@lists.debian.org  missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")

The message has not been delivered to any recipients.

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:01:53 +0100
To: Matthew Bell <matthew@bells.mcb.net>
Cc: "Debian WWW List"debian-www@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: new front page, take 2

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 06:46:25PM +0000, Matthew Bell wrote:

You should wrap your lines at <80 chars.

> -	The Tabs need to be aligned by widthes and lefts, and tops and
> -	heights, for horizontally and vertically adjacent tabs,
> -	respectively. Even if that means table hacks and all (how about
> -	making horizontally aligned tab in the same table and using a fixed
> -	percentage (ie. 80% !) for each vertically seperate tab) ;(

I'm not sure I understand how that would work, but I have a vague idea...

> -	If you're going with the whole rounded rectangle theme this might be
> -	implemented in the tabs as well (yes even the inverted corner on the
> -	header and black border on the tabs). More work :( (And even more
> -	for that too)

It's not really the work that worries me (that stuff's trivial to make),
it's the addition of more and more complicated tables...

> -	The tabs should all be centered or all be left-aligned

See 2.5.

> -	There should be the same amount of space between the red-bar and the
> -	Debian logo as with the blue table (I would choose the lesser), or
> -	move the language select language box down, or something, as it
> -	doesn't look right.

Yeah, but I wasn't sure how to implement the same amount of space the best
way. The larger space is due to a <br>. Suggestions?

> -	As much as I like the yellow-on-black (it draws your eye to the
> -	page), too many colours on a page is a bad thing (I think). Have you
> -	tried the red? (with another blue being an outside bet)

See 2.5.

> -	The <hr>s at the bottom of the page don't look right.

The list of other languages will go between them. They're not there simply
because I built the page in a non-standard environment.

> -     Possibly also move the contact details to quick links?

That's a generic footer, I'd prefer to keep it there.

> -	One of the list of dates is in a fixed width font, one isn't. I
> -	would suggest a fixed width font in both (like on the old/current
> -	site), or using a table, variable width fonts and the dates
> -	right-aligned?

Maybe the latter...

> -	Personally, I like the sound of the of the menu on the left with
> -	tabs on the plain background in the left space,

Like your second point, what I think would be the issue is that the links
would be rounded and the cards wouldn't... but I guess I'll have to play
with it since several people like it on the left...

> -     but if it's too '97, who am I to stand in the way of progress ;)

Let me reiterate, I'm not doing this just because I feel it's (slightly)
demode.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

----- End forwarded message -----