Re: United Kindom != England

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:34:17AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> change everything to UK for GB is not really a country but an island with
> no political representation of it's own.

Well, like Ionel said, UK basically means Great Britain. :)

I think that this duplication exists because of two things. Some .po files
in the distribution are marked with en_GB (or something like that), so the
intl/l10n pages need a way to represent what "GB" means. On the other hand,
the British tend to call their country UK so we use that for stuff like the
mirror list (on top of each page), distrib/vendors etc.

Like I said before (in another thread, on another list), the terms UK and US
are globally too generic and should be avoided if possible; however, they
are very common so we still need to handle them.

Perhaps that TODO note in the template file (did I put it there? I don't
recall) should be changed to an explanation, i.e. a summary of this thread.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.