Re: search for files in packages

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001, Olivier Ricou wrote:
>  I spend a long part of my night to find the package with the
> file named gnome-config. I looked everywhere and especially
> in the http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages page, but
> only in the "Search Package Directories" since the next
> section "Search the Contents of the Latest Release" was
> irrelevant for me (I supposed so).

 No, exactly this search would have been the thing you looked for.
Please take a look at the description:

| This search engine allows you to search the contents of Debian distributions
| for any files (or just parts of file names) that are part of packages.

 It states quite clearly that it's for file-search.  What part was
misleading to you?  Maybe we could update the wording to make it more
clear.

> Search on: ( ) Package names only ( ) Descriptions (x) Files
>
>  The Graal would be to have just one interface. With all the default

 It is not really possible to do it in just a single form - there are
different options for that two searches, and it would confuse the people
and may make them think that there is a difference in the package
descriptions for the different architectures, or on the other hand that
the section could have influence on a file search.

 That would just confuse the people even more.

>  Last, maybe the form should be in the top of the page.

 That could be right, I guess.  On the other hand, it's not my job to
decide that, personally I think at least a <a href="#searchform"> link
at the top to the search forms would be great to help the people scroll
down.

 Thanks,
Alfie
--
 You never learn anything  |   /"""""\                   ,'~~.
   by doing it right.      |  / chaos \  alfie.ist.org   |o ?~\