Re: useless^H^H^H^ful feature request: favicon.ico

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:57:14PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > I am getting ridicilously used to to the little icons my window managers
> > > shows in its panel for different sites I am visiting [1]. I have just been
> > > told that this can be achived with a file favicon.ico at the root of the
> > > site, and I check it with wget http://slashdot.org/favicon.ico
> > >
> > > Could some kind soul create one of those babies from the Debian swirl?
> >
> > This was discussed before on some list, either -www or -devel... someone
> > simply needs to provide us with a PNG image to put there, and we'll put it
> > there. :)
>
> Bullshit, some webmaster only has to decide make actually use of
> it.
>
> Quoting a mail from me from one month ago or similar:
>
> In short, Erik also provided the swirl as favicon.ico.  I wonder
> if and how we (I?) should add it to the website?  Add it to the
> english directory with -kb and add a special rule to the makefile
> so it gets copied with the install target?
>
> Find the swirl at
>    http://people.debian.org/~joey/stuff/favicon.ico
>
> So there is an image already.  There was some discussion I was to lame
> to follow (it's still in my mailbox therefore), but I remember there
> were some objections.

Before I wrote that mail to Edd, I checked that there was a discussion and
all of the objections were turned down. What I forgot to check was the first
message in the thread, which contained this URL.

Feel free to commit the image (presuming it is a PNG and not the Microsoft
ICO format) into webwml/english.