Re: Debian WWW CVS: joy

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 11:32:15AM -0800, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
> Changes by:	joy	01/02/10 11:32:15
>
> Modified files:
> 	english/devel/join: nm-amchecklist.wml
>
> Log message:
> replaced all instances of he with he/she

Debian has finally gone PC! It was just a matter of time. :)

I have always hated this construction. Unfortunately, there
is no generally accepted solution when one wants to avoid
using the masculine. Please don't suggest alternating the
gender either. IMO, the best way to handle this is to use
'they'. In the last 20 years, it has become more accepted
to use it when referring to the singular case. As an example:
  Or they can fix a bug which has already been filed and
  send a patch to the BTS.

We can discuss the acceptability of starting a sentence with
a conjunction another time. :)

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org