Migration to XHTML (was Re: Build failure due to sitemap.wml)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:39:19PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:51:50PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > Jay's changes have been committed, but build failed because
> >    english/mirror/types.wml
> > is missing and breaks compilation of english/sitemap.wml
> > Josip, could you please fix sitemap.wml?
>
> Oh, of course. I forgot about that link.

Thanks, hopefully it will work now ;)

Templates have been updated as explained in previous messages, and should
produce the same output.
We could now check what still needs to be done, here are some
items:
  1.  A missing </p> end tag has not yet been fixed in wml::debian::footer
      in order not to change output.
  2.  `Minimized' attributes (i.e. attribute without values, e.g. <hr noshade>)
      are invalid with XHTML.  We could either write noshade="noshade" in all
      cases (could cause problems with old browsers), or keep noshade in HTML
      and noshade="noshade" in XHTML.
  3.  Fix wml::debian::recent_list subroutine get_recent_list: add missing
      optional end tags.

We could either fix the problems when they are discovered, or wait for massive
changes.

In order to help validate output, XHTML doctype is printed if the DOCTYPE
variable is set to "xhtml", e.g. by putting the following line in any .wmlrc
file:
   -W2,--expansion=2 -D DOCTYPE=xhtml
THIS IS ONLY INTENDED TO TEST MIGRATION TO XHTML, PLEASE DO NOT COMMIT
SUCH LINES NOW.

The -W2,--expansion=2 flag is more permissive than -W2,--expansion=0, it allows
compiling page even if it is not well formed, and is more suitable to find
XHTML errors.  We could switch to -W2,--expansion=0 when all known errors have
been fixed.

Denis