Re: Ports disappeared from www.debian.org?

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 06:43:38PM -0800, Grant Bowman wrote:
> * James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org> [011213 18:27]:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 06:35:06PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > The term 'Ports' itself is in effect an i386-ism. Supported
> > > Architectures is much more descriptive to non-developer types.
> >
> > As always there are competing goals. Keeping the string short is one of
> > them.
>
> What about Architectures?  Is this too long?

The problem with this term is that it is generally used to denote
different hardware and thus doesn't do justice to the port to the hurd.
Frankly, I don't believe any word will be acceptable to all and I'd
stick with Ports. After all, every release is a port of Debian -
including x86 if we want to state it that way.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org