Re: Addition http://www.debian.org/security/faq/

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 08:03:30PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Since I just removed a bunch of old packages from security.debian.org
> I suspect this may be a useful addition to the faq:
>
> Q: I am trying to download a package that is listed in one of the
>    security advisories and I get a file not found error.
>
> A: If a newer fix is available for a package we remove the older fixes.
>    This prevent people from installing a package from
>    security.debian.org that we know is not secure.

Could the answer be clarified? 'newer fix' is not well defined and
the answer doesn't help me go about finding which package should be
installed. For the latter, 'install the latest version from stable
(unstable)' would be sufficient (if it is correct).

Also, I'd like the question replaced with the following:

Q: I tried to download a package listed in one of the security
   advisories but get a `file not found' error.

--
James (Jay) Treacy       I have made this letter longer than usual
treacy@debian.org        because I lack the time to make it shorter.