Re: Adding original URLs to package descriptions

* Axel Duerrbaum <axeld@rts.maschinenbau.uni-kassel.de> [2001-11-14 13:27]:
> Is it possible to add an URL to the package description pages on
> http://packages.debian.org/ where you can find more informations
> (and maybe a screenshot) about the original program?

 Would of course be helpful, but would require much work to realise it,
I guess.

> I think, in the file debian/copyright of each package
> is an usable URL in most cases, which could be recycled.

 Should be, sometimes it's just an ftp:// URL.

> The problem that leads me to this suggestions was the program scribus
> in unstable. I do not know it and want to know more about it. But this
> requires downloading and installing the package or searching in the
> internet.

 I would rather go the other way: If you think the package description
itself isn't helpful enough feel free to file a bugreport against that
package with request for a more useful package description.  That would
be more straight to the point and should help everyone.

> But with the suggested URL the informations would only be one click
> away.

 Of course - as said, it would require some work.  I personally don't
know enough of the internals how the packages pages are created and it
would require an additional field in the package control file to do it
"the right way[tm]".  There's no easy and bugfree way to extract that
information from the copyright file.

 So, best thing I can offer you for the start is to bug the package
maintainers to provide more useful package descriptions.

> Thanks for this great Linux distribution,

 Thank you for your input.
Alfie
--
No Jolt and no Musik makes Alfie go crazy ...
                    -- kw in #debian.de