Re: CVS webwml/english/template/debian

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:28:04PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
[...]
> I'm still too stupid to understand.
>
> Why do we have to use <foo/> instead of <foo>?
>
> Because there is no </foo>?  If so why?

In HTML, some end tags are optional, e.g. </p>, </li>, usw.
Next generation is XHTML, which is based upon XML.  In XML, all
end tags are mandatory, but one can write <hrline/> instead of
<hrline></hrline>.

I suggested to adopt this syntax now in template files, because this change
allows generation of both HTML and XHTML files.  OTOH, WML cannot generate
XHTML files if templates are not XHTML-compliant.
So I see only benefits for this change, the only problem is our habits, this
is why I volunteered to slightly adapt templates when translating them.

You don't have to follow these changes if you don't like them, they are
currently a no-op, but they will become useful when w.d.o switches to XHTML.

Denis