[URGENT] how is lists.d.o archiving done?

Hi,

The partition on which lists.debian.org i.e. the mailing list archives are
kept is going to overflow in a matter of days, if not hours. Therefore we
need to do some archiving, that is, compressing old files.

I was wondering if there is a specific script that should be used to do
this, or should I just gather the mbox files from the year 1998, gzip them,
move them into the web-accessible directory and remove the HTML copies?

If someone knows the answer, please answer quickly because only 20 MB are
left on the partition, so we need to act fast.

(Yes, I have asked the admins to let us use a different partition which has
more space, but they didn't answer positively. :( )