Re: mirror/submit.wml

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 06:56:55AM +0200, peter karlsson wrote:
> Anthony Fok:
>
> > Netscape 4.x is buggy and will have problem when a nested table doesn't
> > have all the closing </TD> </TR> tags, so yes, adding them is
> > definitely better.  :-)
>
> Well, if you use nested tables, then you're on really thin ice, that's
> something that's extremly seldom necessary. I remember doing nested
> tables once, but I can't remember having problems with having to write
> </TD> or </TR> even then.
[...]

I did not read any good reason for not closing optional tags, whereas
many people feel better with </TD></TR> in tables, so even if there is
no technical reason to insert them, it is a matter of social behavior ;)

[...]
> > Also, it seems that everyone is heading towards XHTML and/or XML
> > eventually, so it is probably a good time to start changing our habits
> > now.  :-)
>
> So, that means that we are also going to close all paragraphs,
[...]

No, this is a different issue, closing <p> paragraphs without syntax
errors implies a good knowledge of HTML specs, mainly what blocks are,
and these changes are error prone wrt (X)HTML specs.
OTOH closing </TD></TR> is trivial.

Denis