Re: request

    Sergio> I am tired of all these messages!  Stop posting!

You continue to disagree with us.  We could either ignore you or
continue the discussion.  Since you have not convinced us that you are
right nor have we fould an acceptable compromise it seems that
continuing this discussion is in your interest.

If you would rather we shut up and pretend you had never made your
request, we would be happy to do that.

  >> Huh?  You retain copyright
to your postings that you >> contribute, just as with any code you
contribute.  It's NOT >> "(c) Debian".  Nobody is claiming that you
have lost any rights >> to republish as you like.  It's your work.

    Sergio> I see that there are still some people who keep missing
    Sergio> the point here.

    Sergio> You have to understand that no person or institute owns
    Sergio> your copyright if you do not transfer the ownership in
    Sergio> writing via a legal document!

Even if this were true, which it is not (the document doesn't have to
be written/signed) in some cases), but no one here claims you have
transferred your copyright.  People claim you have given a limted
grant of some of your exclusive rights to those people you sent your
mail to.  People claim that this grant is implicit in the transmission
of mail to a mailing list by someone authorized to make such a grant.
Clearly you are authorized to make such a grant; you are the copyright
holder.  The questions that are worth discussing seem to be whether
such a grant was made and what the extent of the grant is.

    Sergio> By posting these recent
    Sergio> messages, for example, I have just exerted my right to
    Sergio> express
    Sergio> my opinion, by posting to a restricted number of
    Sergio> people, on channels that are not under the copyright of
    Sergio> Debian. As such, this very mail, for example is still my
    Sergio> mail, and Debian *can not* and *must not* archive it!  Are
    Sergio> we speaking the same language?     Sergio> is the privacy?  What sort of community is this one?

Debian believes that you have expressed your opinion by posting to a
public channel (debian-legal and debian-www) and have authorized
Debian to send a copy to the subscribers of those channels and to
anyone who may at some future point look at our list archives.  Note
that you have not sent the message to debian-legal's subscribers;
Debian did that at your request.  Instead, you sent the message to
Debian, and by addressing it to debian-legal you requested Debian's
computers to forward the message to current subscribers of
debian-legal and to the list archive for debian-legal.

You may have a claim that in the past you did not intend to have your
messages archived and that Debian could not reasonably assume they had
a limited grant of rights that allowed them to archive your messages.
However, since you have continued to send to debian-legal after you
learned that list was archived, knowing that by doing so your message
would be archived, you cannot reasonably claim that you did not intend
to grant Debian the limited rights necessary to perform the archiving.

It is like talking to
    Sergio> friends for years, and suddenly discover that they have
    Sergio> been recording you! Not only this, but they have been also
    Sergio> duplicating and indexing via commercial institutes! Where

    Sergio> The reason why I am doing it also another one.  I am tired
    Sergio> of seeing pages of links to my past emails, every time I
    Sergio> type my name on a main search site! The copyright issue is

Unclear.  Under US law (and the webserver for the archives is I
believe in the US), you may not be able to revoke a limited grant of
rights you made when you submitted the message to the archive.  The
only way you can know for certain is to test in court.

    Sergio> the only instrument I have to cut them out for good.  I
    Sergio> did not transfer to Debian the right to archive my mail,
    Sergio> and I want this mail to be deleted for good. It is my
    Sergio> right!

    Sergio> There is of course a more general problem too.  By letting
    Sergio> the main search sites to link all the emails of these
    Sergio> lists, we are overloading the net! I understand that those
    Sergio> mail may be important for some people in Debian, but it is
    Sergio> not reasonable to make world class lists of them, just
    Sergio> because of these few people! Incidentally, these few
    Sergio> people

O, I sometimes use the main search sites.  I might for example want to
look at all your archived mail to find out if you were a reasonable
person to work with on a project.  If so, I would certainly want to
look at all your mail, not just Debian mail.  I might want to find all
mail on some topic and I wouldn't care if it was on a Debian server or
somewhere else.  In such cases, I would tend to use Google.  If I want
to look for something on a Debian server, I might still use Google
because it is faster than the Debian search page.