Re: constraints != constrains

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 08:17:33PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva (KoV) wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I was translating free.wml when I found the word "constraints"
> my dictionary tells me its meaning is related to "shame"...
> I see it may be also related to repression but I found
> "constrain" to be a lot more clear... is it a typo or was
> it intentional?

The context is:
  While free software is not totally free of constraints it gives
  the user the flexibility

and my online dictionary gives the following definition of constraint:
  constraint
       n 1: the state of being constrained [syn: {restraint}]
       2: a device that holds someone or something back from action
          [syn: {restraint}]
       3: the act of constraining
Meaning 2 is sufficient here.

So, we are saying that free software is not free in every sense of the
English word 'free' (only public domain lets users do whatever they
wish with software), it grants users the freedoms that are most important.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org