Status of search engines

G'day All,
  Here is the status of searching for search engines.

Ferret
======
This was the old verisim search engine that is going/is to be GPLed.  It
uses a lot of perl and currently needs some file location tidying up
and general debian package cleaning.

I don't believe it does file based indexing (as opposed to through a
webserver), though that may be me not understanding how it works.
The index file is about 1:1 the size of the archive.

Udmsearch
=========
A new search engine that has a C program for the indexer, uses a
database and pretty much anything for the retriever.  Does support file
access and incremental but currently doesn't understand when files have
changed.

Currently a lintian clean-ish debian package. The postgresql database is
about 1:1 the size of the archive.

id-utils
========
A very simple indexer with no web-based retrivial.  Doesn't (yet) have
the idea of what html looks like or weights but that is being worked on.
Very fast indexing and very small index files, but they may grow with
the features.

It's biggest drawback is that it doesn't have little summarys of the
page.

Namazu
======
I had great difficulties in getting this working for me. It apparently
does 1:3 index files.

I think there was another suggestion but cannot find it.

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>