Re: help with meta-html and making my own templates

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, James A. Treacy wrote:
> All the templates for the main pages are in english/template/debian.
> If you don't put them there, then the translations won't see them.
> Note that you only need to create your own template file if you
> don't want to use one of the existing ones.

Can you point to templates that would assist in creating lists of
packages with descriptions of each?  I didn't see anything there that
was applicable.  If you look at devel/debian-jr/packaged.wml you'll
see what I'm trying to accomplish.

> The purpose of using .data files is to separate out 'data' from the
> purely textual parts of files. This can make keeping translations up
> to date much easier, as changes to the data do not require any work
> on the part of the translators (unless a new slice is introduced).

OK, now I see the slices in the y2k .data files, and yes, I think
I have missed the point here somewhat ... my data includes textual
information that will probably want translating.  The package names
themselves, of course, remain untranslated, but the "description"
(or notes/comments) column contains translatable data.  I wanted
to seperate this into a different file for the convenience of keeping
all the package info in one place.

> If you don't have data that lends itself to such an automated process,
> then you don't need to use .data files. BTW, the extension .data has no
> meaning. It was simply chosen as a standard so people could easily tell
> the purpose of different files.

Hm, then it seems I should *not* use .data to indicate this files since
they contain translatable data.  This leaves me wondering if I should
invent another extension, or if .wml will do.  That is, does every .wml
file (even included ones) get converted to .html?  If I don't want it
converted (because it's just going to be sucked into another file and
*that* will be converted to html instea), do I have to play tricks with
the Makefiles?

Ben