Re: New Debian Website License [LAST CHANCE]

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 09:32:07AM +1100, Craig Small wrote:
> Darren O. Benham said:
> > >  Draft v1.0 or later (the latest version is presently available at
> > >  http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).
> >
> > Speaking as both a member of the webmaster team AND a member of the SPI
> > board (but to say I am speaking FOR either entity)...
> >
> > I don't like the "or later" clause... I don't like it with the GPL, either.
> > It gives away too much control incase someone get's a wild bug and decides
> > the OPL (or GPL) should prohibit armenians (as an example) from distributing
> > the software...
> Then they use their existing license.  Remember it's not an AND, its an
> OR.
> If v1.0 says anyone can use it and v2.0 says anyone except armenians can
> use it and the page says v1.0 or later then I (an australian) can use
> either but an armenian will opt for v2.0
But your "software" can be redistributed under the new stricter license than
you wanted and the people who want it under the looser license would have to
find the orginal (or some archive) that has was released under the "or
later" clause...

IE...  I decide to release the website on CD under the super restrictive
OPLv2 license and NOT under the OPLv1 license...  It's *my* choice (atleast
according to the wording of most GPL'd software)

> Someone else mentioned that you cannot use a license that doesn't exist.
> This is probably correct.  What happens when OPL gets updated to v2.0?
> v1.0 may possibly be difficult to find.  So suddenly without an
> "or later" you have no license.
Then it's the author's responsibility to include the v1.0 license or change
everything to the 2.0 license on his own, really.  Part of the reason why
you get stupid lawsuits over companies trademarks, logos and other
Intellectual Property is to keep them up.  The you loose your IP rights if
you knowingly don't defend it  (Ie... selectivly defending it)