Re: "New Maintainers Corner" at the main Debian Page

I have cc'd both nm-admin and debian-www on this reply to begin the
desired dialog. Comments follow:

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Taketoshi Sano wrote:

> Hi.
>
>    Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > One general task that I would like to delegate, is the web page liaison. I
> > need someone to take on the task of interfacing with the web maintainers.
> > The first job will be to set up a link on the main Debian page to a "New
> > Maintainers Corner". Currently new-maintainer@debian.org is pointing at
> > me, as it should be. We should advertise this address as the contact point
> > for applicants in a prominent location on the NMC page. Eventually we will
> > want to put up some kind of "status board" that will indicate the current
> > applicant's level of completion within the process, probably along with
> > some kind of "odometer" like gauge at the top, totaling the number of
> > applications processed since 1 Jan 2000. The specifics of what to say on
> > this page can be worked out between the liaison, the web page maintainer,
> > and the rest of this committee.
>
> Have you ever get someone who wish to do this work ?

It looks like you have the job! ;-)

> I have subscribed debian-www@lists.debian.org, and do cvs update
> the wml source tree for the Web Pages using anonymous pserver access,
> currently.
>
>  ( I did set up this for translation work about 1 year ago,
>    therefore I only have the english and the japanese dir trees.
>    I have not work there much so far, though. )
>
> I will help you in this field, if I can. I have some experience of
> web-admin in www.debian.or.jp and www.linux.or.jp. But I think that
> I need the help from someone else to build up the automatically
> updated "Status board".

No problem. I wasn't necessarily expecting you to do any actual
construction on the web pages. At least not without close coordination
with the web page maintainers. I'm sure that they will be willing to let
you do some of the production work, as long as you coordinate your efforts
with those responsible for the work.

I had seen your job to be more of a liason between the needs of the AM
team and the parties responsible for maintaining the web pages. It is a
very nice added bonus that you are willing to do some of the actual setup
work involved as well. I simply caution you to make sure you have the
cooperation of the web page maintainer before you "barge" in and start
changing things ;-)

> Maybe this topic also should be introduced into the nm-admin list,
> and cc: to the www list ?

Yes, done.

Thanks for taking on this task,

Dwarf